Monday, January 3, 2011

2011

And here we are again, at the point of the year where we say we'll do the many grand and glorious things that we haven't gotten ourselves to do thus far. Maybe actually keeping this blog active will be one of these things for me. We'll see.

This New Year feels different for me, and one of those differences is that I actually have some faith in my commitment to change for 2011. Why? Because long before 2010 ended I started thinking about things I want to take control of in my life.

I spent this NYE in Kalamazoo, forgoing the $50+ bar tickets in Chicago for one final tango at the ever-classy Monaco Bay*. I wasn't sure about the decision because I knew of several bumping house parties that did not involve a 2 1/2 hour drive, but after a string of drama-filled NYEs in the Chi I thought it might be time to switch it up. Turns out, Kzoo was the perfect place for me to be. I don't remember much of the actual celebration at the club, but I do know that being with the people who shaped my life and strengthened me for the past 4 years were exactly who I needed to talk me through my mostly internal transition into 2011. At a tamer bar outing on New Years day we went around and talked about resolutions, and the best/worst of 2010.

 I quickly realized that most of my bests and worsts were inseparable. Best: Graduating College. Worst: Being ripped from the womb of college and thrown into a world where I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with myself.    Best: Moving in with boyfriend. Worst: All the bullshit that goes along with moving in with a significant other.    Best: Moving back to a world class city. Worst: 10% sales tax, ridiculous traffic, and feeling like I'll be stuck where I grew up forever.   Worst: Dad getting hospitalized and diagnosed with a chronic heart condition. Best: Dad quitting smoking, taco bell, and BK breakfast.

What to do with this paradox? I'm not sure yet. It felt good to just recognize that it's here. I guess it fits into my general outlook that there is good with the bad, and bad with the good, and its best to just be as aware as possible and think critically about whatever it is.

On that note, here's to 2011! The year where organization will set me free, I'll be better at keeping in touch, and I'll try not to drink Coke unless there's whiskey involved. Cheers!



*If you know me from Kalamazoo you may be able to detect some sarcasm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment